8.29.2007

And You Thought Your Family Had Problems


I was still eating crayons and licking windows at the daycare center when DeBarge was pumping out hits in the 80's, so as an adult I've always been curious about the real story behind the troubled family. Thankfully Vibe answered my prayers and questions in the "Broken Dreams" story.

Behold, manna from heaven.

On James DeBarge's marriage to Janet Jackson

James DeBarge married Janet Jackson when they were both 19 years old. James met Janet because his brother Bobby was dating LaToya Jackson. "James and Janet started secretly seeing each other," says Bunny DeBarge. Talking to her on the phone. Then they came to Grand Rapids and eloped. For the Jackson family, it was a nightmare." …The Jackson-DeBarge marriage was annulled after two months and allegations of James' drug abuse.


On El DeBarge's battles against substance abuse


"Drugs happened,” blurts [mother] Etterlene DeBarge. “It's painful totalk about, but when El got into drugs, it just paralyzed him. If I had to do it again, I would never allow my kids to be in the music industry.There are a lot of snakes out there, and they bite real hard.”

Chico on the DeBarge legacy:

"The heartbreak heard in Bobby, El, and Chico’s music may have many sources, but part of it stems from having to prove themselves worthy as soul contenders. Yes, folks constantly namecheck the Jacksons as the first family of R&B. But when it comes time to define the canon, the artistry and rich contributions of the DeBarge family has been unfairly kicked to the curb...“You know what us being in the studio tonight means?” Chico DeBarge asks of no one in particular. “It means that the DeBarge story is not over...."


Visit Vibe.com to read episode one of "The Rise and Fall of the DeBarge Family." Trust me, it's well worth it.





<< Home

 



 

CONTACT INFORMATION

Use don't abuse (ie. adding me to your site's mailing list). And for the love of God please stop sending mp3 files of your music. I am not Clive Davis and to be frank I probably don't want to hear the shit anyway. You should also know that I take my slow, precious time responding to email. And sometimes I don't respond at all. Fresh.crunkjuice@gmail.com
Fresh@myspace.com

LEAVE SOME $$$ ON THE NIGHT STAND

GET POSTS IN YOUR INBOX

Add to Google Add to My AOLSubscribe in Bloglines Powered by FeedBurner



Free Image and Video Hosting








RECENT ENTRIES

blog advertising is good for you


SITE ARCHIVES



Your Ad Here


FRESH PICKS